Tuesday 28 January 2014

I curl sometimes when I am not eating...

So last week my mixed curling team went to Middleton to play in the NS Club Mixed Provincial Championship. The curling, unfortunately, was not the highlight of the weekend. It is too bad really because we are a fairly good team, although I am little biased. We have a 9-2 record within our club league and the two losses came to the same team. We discovered that we are all basically foodies. When I heard that we were going to the Annapolis Valley my heart sank a little, because I knew that eating was going to again be a huge issue. I am the only team member with issues and it would have been just so easy, albeit time consuming, to take everything with me and eat in the motel or just grab a salad and some chicken from the local grocery store. However, I knew I needed to be a little more social, so I made the best of it. I packed my wheat free oats, protein powders and bars for the morning and took snacks to get me through the afternoons.

We stayed at the former Mid-Valley Inn which has been "renovated" and renamed the Middleton Motel & Suites. It was a clean place to put our heads and shower, other than that it was overpriced and nothing spectacular, considering where we were and the time of year that it was. That evening before our game we went to the Capitol Pub where the all day breakfast menu said to inquire about their GFO (Gluten Free Options), so I asked if I could have GF toast as an option and they did not have toast, but said they might start carrying some in the freezer. I am not sure what the actual options were, so I had a greasy omelette with a side of ham and sliced tomato in place of toast and hashbrowns. It was not picture worthy at all.

The following morning the Middleton Curling Club had their monthly community breakfast and it was freewill offering. Plates were heaped with sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, and pancakes plus toast and beans on the side. The club does a community breakfast up right. I took my oatmeal with me and had that with some bacon and eggs. The lady at the counter proclaimed that they were the best scrambled eggs in the Valley and she was not lying; they were really good.

We were not very hungry after our game that day and we had made reservations to go out to the Perfect Pear restaurant at the Falcourt Inn in Nictaux that evening before our next game. I had looked at the menu online and was prepared to have my standard salad and chicken but when we got there, our server said that the chef was aware of food allergies and sensitivities and placed a variety of different items on the specials. I was able to have a three course meal with wine and coffee for $40. The best part that not only was my meal gluten free, it was absolutely amazing and I will let the pictures speak for themselves.

The following morning we played our final game and stopped at the Green Elephant in Kingston. I had the best Soy, Vanilla Latte ever and I was able to have eggs and ham with GF toast! I think the bread was from the Saraj Bakery in New Minas but I forgot to ask. So eggs were the recurring theme of my weekend. The plate was beautiful, but I was so hungry that there was no time for a picture. :)













No comments:

Post a Comment