Saturday 25 January 2014

Gluten Free in Search of Joy and Joyous Health

When Penguin Canada contacted me in the New Year about reviewing two books for them, I was a little flattered and more than just a little scared. One of the books, Grain Power by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming is a collection of gluten-free, ancient grain recipes and Joyous Health by Joy McCarthy is a lifestyle enhancement book meant to bring peace, balance, harmony and joy back to your life through the use of not only food, but mindfulness of body and spirit as well. It is this book that particularly made me feel beyond my scope. While I may have been an English major at Acadia University back in the day and I have taught my junior high students how to write, I did not feel prepared to write a review on a subject I knew very little about and knew the review would not fit the standard mould of fictional writing reviews; however, as I began reading Joy’s book I knew that it would not matter whether the review fit a mould or not because the book itself does not fit a mould either.

The subtitle of Joyous Health is Eat and Live Well Without Dieting and Joy herself states in her opening of chapter one that, “Diets are not sustainable, period.” (McCarthy, Pg. 1) I found myself smiling at this and began thinking just how much I loathe the term “gluten free diet” like it is some kind of fad meant to be embraced by celebrities and their fan base and then discarded when something comes along that is bigger and better leaving those of us with Celiac’s Disease and Gluten Intolerance looking like we are just picky eaters without a legitimate reason because celebrities and social media have made a mockery of our lifestyle. I tell people straight up that I am gluten free, period. It is not a diet; it is a complete lifestyle overhaul which has left me with a lot of anxiety when it comes to eating out, both in restaurants and in the homes of friends and family. I have managed to bury some of the anxiety, but like all things it eventually makes its way to surface and it is not pretty when it does.
Joy McCarthy is a CNP (Certified Nutritional Practitioner) and an RNCP (Registered Nutritional Consulting Practitioner). She is also the Holistic Nutrition & Health Expert to Global TV’s The Morning Show, and she is co-creator of Eat Well Feel Well, Toronto’s first integrated nutrition and yoga program. She makes herself relatable as an author and as a nutritionist by detailing her own struggles with health and nutrition. I found myself nodding in agreement quite often through chapter one as she gives hints about her philosophy and beliefs surrounding food and nutrition and the fact that it is not just physical nourishment that we need but emotional nourishment in the good sense as well. It is the emotional nourishment that we need in order to make the strong, healthy choices that will guide our physical nourishment throughout our lives.
Joy does not give herself the air of standing on a pulpit, preaching to the masses about how to live their lives. Her approach is more of a genuine, heartfelt, nurturing approach with most of what she talks about in chapter one being more along the lines of old-fashioned common sense; the kind we use to hear and follow before the days of convenience took over our lives in the forms of fast, cheap, and plentiful food that resembles and tastes like the cardboard it comes in. She gently guides us through her reasoning for her suggestions and has the proof to back up her claims. The book is laid out in an orderly fashion and goes step by step for the reader and tackles one problem and suggestion at a time. Joy herself says, “Ideally it should take you six weeks to work through this book. However, you can take as long as you wish. Go at your own comfortable pace.” (McCarthy, Pg.5) She includes numerous recipes to try and I really appreciated the fact that they are colour coded just below the title so that I can quickly scan to see if it is a gluten free recipe and make any adjustments accordingly, by quickly scanning for offending ingredients if it is not.
I am glad that I was given the chance to review this book, as I am not sure that it is one that I would have bothered to peruse or purchase otherwise. I am looking forward to my six week or longer journey, eventually reorganizing my kitchen and discarding any gluten free items that do not serve their purpose or are little better than “healthy” junk. I have been on a journey for the last three plus years and I am looking forward to the one that will lead me on the path to joy and joyous health.
Anyone who wishes to find their way to health or their way back to health then this is the book. With an entire section of recipes, detailed explanations of how to select foods for joy and health and how to practice mindful eating, it is like having a nutritionist on hand, complete with an example of how to keep a food and wellness journal. I think I would much rather have a consultation with Joy herself, but until the day that that dream comes true, this will have to do.

 
www.joyoushealth.ca
Book: Paperback | 210 x 133mm | 224 pages | ISBN 9780143186915 | 07 Jan 2014 | Penguin Canada

 PS: Stay tuned for my review of the aforementioned Grain Power. I am making a couple of the recipes and snapping a few pics for my next blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment